Stonybrook Getaway: Franconia's BEST Kept Secret (NH)
Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're diving headfirst into Stonybrook Getaway: Franconia's BEST Kept Secret. And let me tell you, secrets are supposed to be whispered, not blasted across the internet, but hey, someone's gotta do the dirty work, right? I'm your intrepid explorer, and after my… experience, I'm here to spill the tea (or maybe just the lukewarm coffee) on this hidden gem.
First off, accessibility. God bless 'em, because it's a mixed bag, like a box of chocolates you're not sure you really wanted. They say they have facilities for disabled guests, but I didn't specifically test them because I'm able-bodied (for now, knock on wood!). So, it's a "check the specifics" situation. Elevators are a must, and that's a good start. Access to the pool… well, we'll get there. 🤷♀️ Just call and find out before you go!
Internet Access - My Silent Battle: Listen, I'm a digital nomad at heart. I live online. Wi-Fi is my oxygen. And Stonybrook? They claim "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" and "Wi-Fi in public areas!" (cue eye roll). The reality? Let's just say I spent a solid hour wrestling with my laptop in my room, cursing the gods of slow internet. It was spotty at best, a frustrating mix of buffering and dropped connections. The LAN was, unfortunately, useless for my needs . It was a battle. I eventually gave up and moved to the lobby, where it was slightly better, but nothing to write home about. Okay, I'M writing home about it. Don't expect blazing speeds. Pack a book, or several.
Cleanliness and safety: Okay, this is where Stonybrook shines, especially post-pandemic. They’ve got the whole shebang: anti-viral cleaning products, daily disinfection, hand sanitizer everywhere (bless them!), and staff trained to the nines in safety protocols. They offered room sanitization opt-out (a nice touch). You felt safe. Safe enough to almost forget the internet woes! Food prep areas were spotless, according to the tiny peek I took (sorry, I am nosy). They take their health seriously. And in today’s world, that’s a huge win.
Dining, drinking, and snacking: Okay, this is where it got interesting. Full disclosure: I'm a foodie, and I judge hotels by their breakfast. The breakfast buffet was… adequate. Think standard hotel fare: various baked goods, the usual suspects, and some fruit. It wasn't the gourmet experience I was hoping for, but it was food. There were restaurants, several, but I kept to the hotel for convenience. The coffee was… meh. The 24-hour room service, though, was a lifesaver. Especially after the internet meltdown. A late-night grilled cheese? Yes, please! (That’s a personal win, by the way. It’s the little things). They did have a poolside bar. I didn't use it; I was too busy wrestling the Wi-Fi.
Things to do, ways to relax: The Spa. This is what REALLY hooked me. They've got the works: sauna, steamroom, massage, body scrub, the entire shebang. This is where Stonybrook REALLY becomes a "getaway". I went for a massage, and it was divine. Seriously. The therapist was incredibly skilled, and I left feeling like I'd shed ten years and a mountain of stress. I actually felt relaxed. They have a very nice pool with a view, which offers a fantastic opportunity to get some relaxation. The fitness center looked well-equipped, although I opted for the massage. Priorities. And this is THE spot. This is where you need to come.
For the kids: My travel buddy did have kids, and they were with me for a little while. There are family-friendly options, but frankly, I'm not exactly an expert on what kids want. There is the Babysitting service.
Services and conveniences: This is where Stonybrook really proves itself. They have everything you might need. If I’m honest, the service was excellent. The concierge was helpful, and the doorman was always friendly. They seem to genuinely care about their guests. They even had facilities for disabled guests. They have a gift shop, luggage storage and laundry service.
Available in all rooms: The rooms themselves? Comfortable. They’re not ultra-luxe, but clean, spacious, and well-appointed, equipped with everything you need: air conditioning, coffee/tea maker, hair dryer, mini-bar, and more. I appreciated the blackout curtains (essential for sleeping late after a spa treatment). There's a desk for working (if you can get the Wi-Fi to cooperate), and the seating area was perfect for lounging with a book (while waiting for the Wi-Fi to, you know, work).
Getting around: There's free parking, a huge plus. They don't seem to have an airport transfer.
The Quirks and the Charm: Stonybrook isn't perfect. It's got its quirks (the Wi-Fi being the biggest). But it's got character. It feels like a retreat, a place where you can truly unwind, even if it takes a little wrestling to get there. It has a secret-garden feel. I liked it. I really did.
Now for the BIG SELL - My Stonybrook Getaway Offer:
Tired of the daily grind? Craving a true escape? Here’s your chance to experience Stonybrook Getaway, the BEST kept secret in Franconia, New Hampshire!
Book now and get:
- 20% off your stay! Use promo code "SECRETESCAPE" at check-out.
- Free breakfast for two! (Because, let's be honest, free is good.)
- A complimentary spa treatment credit! (Because you deserve it!) This is where you get your best sleep and the best results.
- Guaranteed early check-in! (Because, hey, we get it, you're eager!)
- Free Wi-Fi… (fingers crossed it works for you!).
But wait, there's more!
- Relax in our luxurious spa, with massage, and steam room.
- Discover the beauty of Franconia Notch State Park, just a short drive away!
- Indulge in our delicious restaurants, offering a perfect blend of international and local cuisine.
- Enjoy the peace and quiet, away from the usual crowds.
This offer is only valid for a limited time, and rooms are filling up fast! Don't miss out on the opportunity to uncover Franconia's BEST kept secret. Book your Stonybrook Getaway today!
Click here to book now! [Insert Booking Link Here]
P.S. Tell 'em the internet warrior sent you. They'll probably have no idea what you're talking about, but hey, it’s the effort that counts, right? 😉
Unbelievable Greenhill Estate: Thodupuzha's Hidden Gem Revealed!Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're about to dive headfirst into my… ahem … interpretation of a travel itinerary for a stay at the Stonybrook Motel & Lodge in Franconia, New Hampshire. Forget those sterile travel brochures. This is gonna be messy, honest, and probably involve me griping about the price of gas. Here we go…
Stonybrook Shenanigans: A Franconia Fiasco (or Maybe Just a Pleasant Getaway, Who Knows?)
Day 1: Arrival & Existential Dread (or, Where Did All the Good Snacks Go?)
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Drive from… wherever I'm currently residing. ETA is contingent on the whims of I-91 traffic and my innate inability to resist rest stops with questionable coffee. Already feeling the travel anxiety kick in. Did I remember my toothbrush? (Spoiler alert: I probably didn't).
- 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM: Arrive at Stonybrook Motel & Lodge. Finally. Praying desperately that the motel room photos online weren't heavily Photoshopped. First impressions are crucial! (Deep breath… here we go…) Okay, it's… charming. In a slightly faded, "grandpa's fishing cabin" kind of way. The air smells faintly of pine needles and… old carpeting. But hey, character! Right?
- 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Check in. Interact with the motel staff, who hopefully aren't too grumpy. Find the room number. (I always forget the room number and wander around aimlessly like a lost duckling). Unpack. Immediately start hunting for the nearest vending machine. (Important. Snacks are life. Survival, in this case). Discover the vending machine is out of… everything. This is a crisis! My blood sugar is plummeting! Begin emotional spiral.
- 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Reconnaissance mission: Explore the immediate surroundings. Franconia Notch State Park is calling… but first, a desperate search for a convenience store. Maybe there's a gas station with decent chips? Is that too much to ask?
- 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Dinner. Decision Time! The motel website mentioned a local diner. Decisions like these can be paralyzing. I might just end up eating the emergency granola bar I stashed in my bag. Diner it is! And hopefully they got fries! A burger is my destiny.
- 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Digestive rest followed by attempting to make plans for the next day. Possibly failing. Watching something terrible on the hotel TV. (I bet there's something really bad on).
- 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM: Bedtime. I might read a book. I might just stare at the ceiling and wonder about the vastness of the universe. Both are equally likely.
Day 2: Nature, and the Unexpected Joys of a Terrible Hike
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. (Hopefully). The hotel coffee is probably mediocre. But I'll drink it anyway because it's the price of admission to the day.
- 9:00 AM: A hike in Franconia Notch State Park! The Flume Gorge might be on the itinerary. I've seen the pictures - looks gorgeous. I feel like a rugged outdoorsy person - hopefully I won't fall down.
- 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM: The Flume Gorge Hike… or, How I Almost Became One With Nature (and a Few Rocks). Okay, I am going to be honest with you, hiking the flume was awesome, but it was also really hard. I underestimated the elevation. My legs, they trembled. And the water? Freezing! But the views… the breathtaking, 'I can't believe this exists' views? Worth every aching muscle. I almost fell on my bum, and I had to stop to catch my breath a few times! I will admit, the stairs were very difficult. I am no mountain goat! But still made it. The waterfalls were stunning. Now, if I can get back to the car…
- 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: The Post-Hike Collapse. Food. Now. Seriously. Find a cafe, a sandwich shop, something that serves carbs and protein. My body is demanding fuel. I need to sit down.
- 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM: Drive around the Kancamagus Highway. Scenic views!
- 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: Return to Stonybrook. Naptime is mandatory after that hike. My feet are screaming, my back is twinging, and I'm pretty sure I have a sunburn. This is what I am calling perfect.
- 6:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Dinner. Repeat yesterday's search and destroy mission for food.
- 7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Staring out the window, reflecting on my place in the universe, while drinking a beer, and probably watching some cheesy movie.
- 9:00 PM: Asleep.
Day 3: Leaving and (Probably) Regretting It
- 8:00 AM: wake up. Coffee. The last day. It's always sad.
- 9:00 AM: Breakfast. I'm getting used to everything.
- 10:00 AM: Check out. Say goodbye to the charming, slightly-faded motel.
- 10:30 AM: Start the drive home.
- 12:00 PM: Stop at a farmstand. Buy way more apples, apple cider, and whatever else is in season.
- 1:00 PM: Drive home. I'm already planning next year's trip.
- 2:00 PM: Start writing a review that includes:
- The fact that the vending machine was a disaster.
- That the hiking really did me in.
- That the staff were nice and friendly.
- And that I can't wait to come back next year!
In Conclusion:
This itinerary is more about the experience than the rigid structure. It's about the unexpected, the slightly-awkward, and the moments that make a trip memorable. If I actually stick to anything on this schedule, I'll be surprised. The most important thing is to show up, embrace the chaos, and maybe, just maybe, find some joy along the way. Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to find some snacks.
Escape to Schenectady: Your Perfect Hampton Inn Awaits!Stonybrook Getaway: Franconia's BEST Kept Secret... or Is It? (A Very Unofficial FAQ)
Okay, spill the beans. What *is* Stonybrook Getaway? Is it worth the hype (or the secret-keeping)?
Alright, alright, fine. Stonybrook Getaway? Imagine, and I'm being SERIOUSLY generous here, a slightly-rustic, definitely-charming collection of cabins and cottages nestled (and sometimes, *slightly* precariously perched) in Franconia Notch, New Hampshire. The hype? Well, that depends on your definition of "hype." It's not the Four Seasons. It's not even a motel six. But it *is* utterly, gloriously… authentic. And the 'secret'? Okay, maybe not *super* secret anymore, thanks to (sigh) social media, but trust me, most people driving by haven't a clue this cozy little haven exists tucked away beside the Pemigewasset River.
As for the worth: If "rustic charm" equals "slightly drafty windows and a bed that *might* be haunted by the ghost of a lumberjack," then yes, ABSOLUTELY worth it. If you're expecting pristine white linens and room service, then... maybe look elsewhere. But the *vibe*... the peace of being surrounded by nature, the crackling fire (if you can figure out how to build one!), the absolute bliss of escaping the internet for more than 5 minutes... that's priceless.
Can I get a cabin with a view? Because Instagram demands it.
Views? Yes, potentially. Instagram-worthy? ...Maybe? It depends. Some cabins have truly stunning views of the mountains and the river. Others... well, let's just say they offer a "charming perspective" of your neighbor's car. I stayed in one once that, and I kid you not, the best view was of a strategically placed pile of firewood. But hey, the firewood was neatly stacked, right? Look, the point is, check the photos *carefully* before booking, and don't be afraid to call and ask specifically about the view from *your* cabin. And bring a wide-angle lens. Seriously, wide angle.
The website says "pet-friendly." Is that code for "bring your entire canine family, plus a llama"?
Okay, okay. So, the pet-friendly thing. It's true, they *are* pet-friendly. But PLEASE, I beg you, be a responsible pet owner. I've witnessed some things... Let's just say, not all pets are created equal in the "respecting-the-cabin-and-its-contents" department. I once stayed next door to a Great Dane who apparently thought the cabin's porch was his own personal litter box. Not. Cool. Clean up after your critters! Keep them leashed on the property! And for the love of all that is holy, don't sneak a llama in. Please. (Also, double-check the specific pet policy on the website. There may be breed/size restrictions.)
What's the kitchen situation like? Should I pack a Michelin-star chef, too?
The kitchen situation... is "rustic." Let's call it that. You'll likely have a refrigerator, a stove (probably electric, maybe gas – check!), and the usual assortment of pots, pans, and utensils. Don't expect a state-of-the-art culinary experience. Bring the essentials. Pack your own food, drinks, spices, and maybe a good can opener. I learned the hard way once, trying to open a can of beans with a butter knife while hangry. It did not end well. It might be better to overpack than underpack, just in case. And definitely check for a coffee maker. Because, you know, survival.
The Pemigewasset River... is it swimmable? Because I REALLY want to swim.
Alright, the Pemigewasset. Yes, it's beautiful. Yes, it's tempting. Is it swimmable? Well... technically, yes. But here's the deal: It's a mountain river. That means cold. Like, *really* cold. Like, "your-teeth-will-chatter-even-in-summer" cold. And the current can be deceptively strong. I've seen people wading, I've seen people tubing (which is a lot of fun, by the way), but I'd advise extreme caution. There could also be rocks. I'd recommend checking current conditions and using your best judgment. Or just stick to the porch swing and enjoy the view.
Hiking trails! Are there hiking trails?! Tell me about the hiking!
Hiking? Oh, honey, you've come to the right place. Franconia Notch is a hiker's paradise! The Flume Gorge, the Cannon Mountain Tramway, the Appalachian Trail... you name it, it's probably within a short drive. The trails range from easy strolls to, well, let's just say "strenuous adventures." Be sure to research trails, because I've tried a hike once that I wasn't remotely prepared for. I ended up clinging to a tree, convinced I was going to die. Okay, maybe I'm being dramatic. But pack water, wear appropriate shoes, and tell someone where you're going. Seriously. And bring snacks. Lots of snacks. Trail mix is your friend.
What's the deal with the Wi-Fi? Do I have to completely unplug? (And I REALLY don't want to.)
Ah, the Wi-Fi. The Achilles' heel (or in some cases, the saving grace) of the modern vacation. The website says "available." But let me tell you, "available" at Stonybrook means "sometimes works... maybe. If you stand in the right spot. And pray to the Wi-Fi gods." Expect it to be slow. Expect it to cut out. Expect to spend a significant amount of time staring at a spinning wheel. And honestly? Embrace it. Use it as an excuse to finally read that book you've been meaning to get to, or stare at the fire, or, you know, actually talk to the people you're with. It's good for the soul. Also, take screenshots of the wifi info, so you can avoid having to call for it.
Okay, so, *that* one experience... tell me about your biggest Stonybrook story.
Ooh, you want a story? Buckle up, buttercup. This happened years ago, but it’s etched forever in my brain. My boyfriend, bless his heart and his total lack of camping prowess, decided we should try to build a fire in the outdoor fire pit. Note: He had *never* built a fire before, and he was convinced he knew everything. We collected wood. We gathered kindling. We even bought those stupid fire starters that are supposed to be idiot-proof. The wind was howling that night. It was cold. And it was getting dark.
Stay Finder Blogs