Kokopelli Lodge Clayton, NM: Your Southwestern Getaway Awaits!

Best Western Kokopelli Lodge Clayton (NM) United States

Best Western Kokopelli Lodge Clayton (NM) United States

Kokopelli Lodge Clayton, NM: Your Southwestern Getaway Awaits!

Kokopelli Lodge Clayton, NM: My Wild West Whimsy (and a Few Hiccups!) - A Review

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I've emerged from the dusty plains of Clayton, New Mexico, having just wrestled with… well, not exactly a bull, but the sheer experience of Kokopelli Lodge. Their tagline, "Your Southwestern Getaway Awaits,"? Okay, I'll bite. And after a week of chili-fueled adventures and more-than-a-few tequila sunrises, I'm ready to spill the beans (and maybe some salsa) on whether it delivers.

First Impressions & Getting There (Accessibility, Car Park Bonanza!)

Let's be honest, Clayton isn’t exactly a bustling metropolis. Getting there felt like a proper adventure, almost the whole way through – I mean, it's New Mexico! Driving in, the free car park [on-site] almost made me weep with joy. No scavenging for parking spots after a long drive is a HUGE win in my book. They also had car power charging station, which, while I don't personally need, is super thoughtful.

Accessibility-wise, they rate fairly well. The elevator was a life-saver for my luggage and the fact that they have facilities for disabled guests is a definite plus. I poked around a bit (with their permission, of course!), and it seemed genuinely geared towards comfort.

The Room: My Desert Oasis (or Maybe Just a Cozy Cave?)

Okay, so my room? It wasn't a literal desert oasis but it was a welcome respite after a day of exploring the dusty mesas. The air conditioning saved my sanity (seriously, the New Mexico sun is NO JOKE!), and the blackout curtains were a godsend for sleeping in. The extra long bed was a dream for a tall person like myself, and I appreciated the complimentary tea and coffee because, you know, caffeine is life.

I will say, though, my bathroom was a little… well, retro. The bathtub was a bit dated, and the slippers they provided were a little too… slippery. I almost ate it on the way to the separate shower, which was actually very nice. The hair dryer worked, the toiletries were standard, but overall, the room was clean, cozy, and functional. And let’s be real, after a day of hiking, all you need is a bed, a shower, and a place to collapse.

Cleanliness & Safety: The Nitty Gritty (Plus Some Anti-Viral Goodness!)

Here’s where Kokopelli really shines. The daily disinfection in common areas and the rooms sanitized between stays gave me serious peace of mind. Seeing all the hygiene certificates dotted around was re-assuring and actually a bit surprising. The hand sanitizer was plentiful, and I saw staff constantly wiping down surfaces. Plus, they did provide anti-viral cleaning products. It's a relief to see this place taking things seriously.

Things to Do, Ways to Relax, and a Few Unbelievable Moments!

Okay, this is where it gets REALLY interesting. The swimming pool [outdoor], was a major draw. It's not the most glamorous pool I've ever seen, but after a scorching day, jumping in was pure bliss. The poolside bar was fantastic - I became way too friendly with the bartender, and the happy hour was a glorious thing.

I totally didn't expect the spa/sauna, but it was a welcome surprise. The Foot bath was pure magic, and I may have spent hours in the sauna. The massage…oh, the massage. Let's just say I left feeling like a limp noodle in the best possible way.

And now for my un-professional critique!

Dining, Drinking, Snacking: Food, Glorious Food (and Maybe a Minor Culinary Mishap)

Restaurants, plural is a slight overstatement. But, they had a good one, it was a vegetarian restaurant, and the Western cuisine in restaurant had some incredible burgers and steaks. The A la carte in restaurant menu was varied, and the desserts in restaurant were divine.

The breakfast buffet was a decent start to day! They had breakfast [buffet] options and the coffee/tea in restaurant was ok nothing to write home about.

The “snack bar” gave me a laugh. I'll say the coffee shop was a more impressive option, however, it was pretty basic, and I would say they missed on the opportunity to make it something extra special. It's the Southwest, they should be serving Asian cuisine in restaurant. But overall, the food was fine

Services & Conveniences: Keeping it Simple (Mostly)

Kokopelli Lodge gets a lot of points for its conveniences. The 24-hour front desk was a lifesaver (thanks, tired traveler!), and the luggage storage was clutch. The concierge was helpful with recommendations, though, if I'm honest, the convenience store was a little sparse. Still, it's better than nothing!

For the Kids (and the Kid in All of Us!)

While I didn't bring any kiddos, I saw families everywhere and seemed like the family/child friendly attitude was a definite plus.

Internet: Wi-Fi Woes (and a Sweet Spot!)

Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!… theoretically. The connection in my room was a bit… spotty. Honestly, I'd have to give it a "C" for consistency. However, Wi-Fi in public areas was much better, so I spent a lot of time in the comfy lounge area.

Overall Vibe & My Verdict

Kokopelli Lodge isn't a luxury resort. It's not going to wow you with over-the-top glitz and glamour. What it is is a comfortable, clean, and friendly basecamp for exploring the New Mexico desert.

The quirks? Sure, I had a few. The slightly dated bathroom, the occasional wifi hiccup.

The triumphs? The pool, the massage, the friendly staff, the fantastic happy hour, the safety, and the amazing value.

My Honest Recommendation: If you're seeking a taste of the Southwest, a place to unwind after a day of adventures, and don't mind a touch of rustic charm, then Kokopelli Lodge in Clayton gets a hearty recommendation from me. It's not perfect, but it's real. And sometimes, a little bit of real is exactly what you need.

Book Now! (My Persuasive Pitch):

Ready to trade your everyday for some Southwestern sunsets and starlit nights? Kokopelli Lodge Clayton is waiting to welcome you! With amazing views, clean, safe rooms, and a pool that's calling your name, it’s the perfect escape. But wait, there's more! Book your stay this week and receive a complimentary drink at the poolside bar and a voucher for 10% off a relaxing spa treatment. Don't wait! The desert adventure of your dreams awaits, and rooms are booking up fast! Click the link below and start planning your unforgettable getaway!

Luxury Redefined: Uncover the Hidden Gem of Foshan at InterContinental Foshan

Book Now

Best Western Kokopelli Lodge Clayton (NM) United States

Best Western Kokopelli Lodge Clayton (NM) United States

Alright, buckle up, Buttercups! This isn't your grandma's pristine travel itinerary. This is… well, this is my attempt at wrangling a few days around Clayton, New Mexico, base-camped at the Best Western Kokopelli Lodge. Prepare for a bumpy ride. And a lot of coffee.

Clayton, NM: Operation Find-Something-Interesting (and Not Get Eaten by a Badger)

Day 1: Arrival and the Myth of "Getting Settled In"

  • 2:00 PM (ish): Arrive at the Kokopelli Lodge. Okay, so the "ish" is because I got hopelessly lost. Turns out, satellite navigation is a liar and "roads" are really suggestions. The lodge itself? Not bad. Clean enough. Which, after driving six hours, is all I really crave. Oh, and air conditioning. Desperately needed. The room smells faintly of… laundry detergent and ambition? I'll take it.

  • 2:30 PM: Unpack (or, more accurately, throw everything from the car onto the bed). Discover I've packed, like, five pairs of the same socks and NO comfortable walking shoes. Genius. Already regretting this decision.

  • 3:00 PM: Attempt to locate the pool. Because, you know, vacation. Turns out, the pool is closed. Cue inner monologue of epic proportions: "Of COURSE the pool is closed. This is my life. Sigh. Okay, plan B: find a vending machine and emotionally eat a bag of chips."

  • 3:30 PM: Snack Acquisition. The vending machine is a glorious, albeit overpriced, portal to salty, crunchy goodness. I acquire a bag of Doritos and a bottle of watery iced tea. I devour them with the grace and dignity of a grizzly bear.

  • 4:00 PM: Reconnaissance Mission: Drive around Clayton. Find the downtown. It's… well, it's Clayton. Think "small town charm" meets "slightly faded glory." There's a hardware store, a diner (which I'm already eyeing for breakfast), and a surprising number of antique shops. This could be promising… or a graveyard of my budget.

  • 5:00 PM: Dinner at a local diner. (Let’s just call it "Diner X.") Ordered a burger. It was… a burger. Average. The fries, however, were surprisingly good. The waitress, bless her heart, had seen it all. She probably already pegged me as the city slicker lost wandering around. She told me about the dinosaur trackways. Maybe, just maybe, this trip isn't a total bust?

  • 6:30 PM: Back to the Lodge. Stare at TV. Flipping channels like a zombie. Already tired. This is the part where I start feeling like I have to do something, anything, because I'm on vacation! And then, inevitably, do nothing.

  • 7:00 PM: Realize I forgot my book. Panic. Consider driving back to where I came from. (Just kidding. Sort of.)

  • 8:00 PM: Call my friend. I am a terrible traveler. Vent about everything. Then laugh about my incompetence.

  • 9:00 PM: Attempt to establish a sleep schedule. Fail.

Day 2: Dinosaur Tracks and the Mystery of the Empty Gas Station

  • 7:00 AM: (ish): Wake up! (Or, more accurately, drag myself out of bed.) Promise myself I will get out of bed and actually DO something today. The siren song of a hotel breakfast buffet calls.

  • 7:30 AM: Breakfast at the Hotel: Waffles. The buffet is underwhelming. But the waffles? The waffles are alright. They'll do. Load up on the coffee.

  • 8:30 AM: Head to the Clayton Lake State Park. This is the dinosaur day, baby! I mean, who can complain about dinosaur footprints? Actually, I can. It's a bit of a drive. And the map on my phone is being incredibly unhelpful.

  • 9:30 AM: Find the park! The dinosaur tracks are… cool. But let's be honest, standing on a rocky hill in the blazing sun isn't as glamorous as the brochure makes it look. I’m pretty sure my brain is starting to melt.

  • 11:00 AM: Wander around the trackways. Seriously, dinosaur footprints! It's a bit humbling and a bit awe-inspiring. I try to imagine what the dinosaurs were like - big, lumbering, probably oblivious to the fact their footprints would be tourist attractions in millions of years.

  • 12:00 PM: Lunch! This is where things get interesting. There's literally NOTHING available besides the vending machines, and the chips are already a distant memory. I try to find something, anything. I drive for miles. I pass a gas station that looks strangely abandoned. It looks like something out of The Walking Dead. Spooky.

  • 1:00 PM: Give up. Eat granola bar. Sigh.

  • 2:00 PM: Explore the actual town. Stumble across an art gallery. Surprise! Some genuinely interesting stuff. Buy a postcard (because, you know, souvenirs).

  • 3:00 PM: The other museum. The Herzstein Memorial Museum. It's… small. But full of local history. Fascinating, actually. I learn about the pioneers, the cowboys, and the rise and fall of the Clayton economy. I spend way longer here than I anticipated.

  • 5:00 PM: Back to the Lodge and contemplate what is wrong with my life choices.

  • 6:00 PM: Dinner at The Range Cafe. It is a little bit of a drive, but the locals said this is THE place. Order steak. Realize I’ve overspent my budget, AGAIN. But… the steak is worth it. The atmosphere is amazing.

  • 7:30 PM: Watch the sunset. It's actually beautiful. Wow.

  • 8:30 PM: Write notes. Think about the dinosaur footprints. They were pretty neat.

  • 9:30 PM: Another call with my friend. Laugh at my life. Consider getting a massage? Probably not.

  • 10:00 PM: Sleep. Maybe. I will have to see.

Day 3: Departure and the Unanswered Questions

  • 7:00 AM: Wake up (again). Another waffle from the hotel breakfast. They're growing on me.

  • 8:00 AM: Pack (the hard stuff).

  • 9:00 AM: One last drive around. Say goodbye to the dusty streets. Admire everything.

  • 10:00 AM: Check out of the Best Western. Say farewell to the lobby.

  • 10:30 AM: Start the long drive home. Wonder what the future will look like.

  • En route: Reflect on the trip. Okay, so Clayton wasn't exactly the most action-packed vacation. But there was honesty. Some beauty. And a lot of time spent thinking. And, hey, I didn't get eaten by a badger. That's a win, right?

  • Later: Arrive home. Crash on couch. Make plans to be organized next time. Probably fail.

Unbelievable Medan Stay! Tokidoki X OYO 90021 Ah123 - You HAVE to See This!

Book Now

Best Western Kokopelli Lodge Clayton (NM) United States

Best Western Kokopelli Lodge Clayton (NM) United States Kokopelli Lodge FAQs - Your Southwestern Getaway

So, What's the Deal with Kokopelli Lodge, Anyway? Is it Actually Worth It?

Okay, deep breaths. Let me tell you, *worth it* is a loaded question. Look, Clayton, New Mexico, is not exactly... a *destination*. It’s a place you end up on the way *to* somewhere else. (We're talking mostly the big sky, Route 66 kind of somewhere else). But Kokopelli? It’s a *haven* in the vastness. My first time there? Purely by accident. Flat tire, middle of nowhere. Pulled in, expecting Motel 6… ended up in a freakin' *oasis* of turquoise and adobe charm. Think of Southwest-style decor, seriously comfortable beds and a vibe that makes you feel instantly relaxed. And yeah... *worth it*, if you're up for something unique. If you're looking for 5-star luxury, maybe not. But if you crave peace, quiet, and genuine hospitality? Absolutely. They bake cookies there. *Cookies*. And sometimes, the owner, bless his heart, starts telling stories about the history of the area. He's a bit of a talker, but in a good way.

Okay, But Seriously, the Rooms? Are They Clean? Smelly? Like, the Essentials, people!

Alright, alright. Important stuff. The rooms *are* clean. I mean, no, it's not sterile, hospital-grade clean, but it's clean-clean. And the beds? Phenomenal. Cloud-like, I swear. I have a bad back, and I slept like a baby. Zero complaints. No weird smells. (Except maybe a faint whiff of freshly baked breakfast in the morning – delicious!). I *hate* smelly rooms. I once stayed in a place where… ew, never mind. Kokopelli rooms, though? Fresh, comfy, well-maintained. They feel... homespun, not generic. And the decor is a big step up from the usual roadside fare. It’s very Southwest-y.

What About the Breakfast? Is it a Dry Cereal & Toast Situation?

Noooo! Thank goodness. The breakfast is actually... *good*. Not gourmet, mind you, but hearty and homemade. Think scrambled eggs, sometimes with green chilies (this is New Mexico, after all!), sausage, fresh fruit, pancakes, and of course, coffee. The coffee is decent. Not the best coffee in the world, but certainly better than the brown swill you get at some places. And the breakfast area? Makes you feel like you're eating in someone's cozy kitchen. Oh, and the cookies I mentioned? They're out at breakfast, too. They should really market those cookies! They're addictive. One time, I totally ate, like, three. No regrets.

Is There a Pool? Because, sometimes you just NEED a pool.

Nope. No pool. And I know, I *know*. In that Southwestern heat, a pool sounds amazing. But honestly? You won't miss it. The whole vibe is so chill, sitting on the porch reading a book, listening to the wind wistle. It's all very... relaxing. There are other things to do though, even if they don't involve swimming. You might find yourself watching the sunset with a beer and listening to the crickets chirp. And honestly? That's pretty fantastic too.

What's the Wi-Fi Like? I Need to Stay Connected (Sadly).

Okay, so the Wi-Fi... it's there, but it's not blazing fast. It's Clayton, NM, remember? Don't expect the same speed as your big city internet. It's sufficient for checking emails, browsing the web, and, you know, avoiding total digital disconnect. But don't plan on streaming HD movies or having a marathon video call. Embrace the slower pace, people! Use it as an excuse to unplug! Seriously, put your phone down and look at the stars. They’re incredible out there. I almost stayed up all night taking pictures on my last visit. Got a few good ones, too.

Is it Pet-Friendly? Cause, my furry friend goes *everywhere* with me.

Okay, this is important. I *think* they are, or at least they were the last time I stayed. I'd *definitely* call ahead to confirm. Call. Don't email; get on the phone and make sure. I saw a couple of adorable dogs the last time I was there, and if I remember right, there's a grassy area for them to do their business. But, seriously, double-check. Nobody wants a surprise pet fee or, worse, being turned away.

Any Nearby Activities? Is there *anything* to do in Clayton?

Alright, so this is where things get a little... interesting. Clayton isn't exactly a bustling metropolis. But that’s partly the point! Your focus will be on the big sky and the vast open spaces. But! You *can* check out the Clayton Lake State Park. It's a beautiful place to hike, fish, star gaze and take in the majesty. Also, the Capulin Volcano National Monument isn't too far away, which is a must. You can drive right up to the top of an extinct volcano! My first time... Let me tell you, it was freezing up there, but the views were breathtaking. Bring a jacket. Seriously. And if you're into Route 66 history, there's some neat stuff around. Overall, there's enough to keep you entertained for a few days, especially if you're into the outdoors and a slower pace of life. Oh, and there's a diner, but I'm not going to lie, I've been there once and I wouldn't go back. But hey, options!

Is Kokopelli Lodge good for a romantic getaway?

Hmmmm. Romantic, eh? Well, it depends on your definition of romance. If "snuggling on the couch with a roaring fire" or "gazing at the stars at night" is your idea of romance, then *yes*. The quiet and the intimacy of the place make it perfect. If you are looking for loud dance clubs or Michelin-starred cuisine, then maybe not. Depends on your vibe. However, the setting sun, the sunsets are unbelievable, it has a certain something that can create a lovely atmosphere. I’d say, YES.

AnythingBook a Stay

Best Western Kokopelli Lodge Clayton (NM) United States

Best Western Kokopelli Lodge Clayton (NM) United States

Best Western Kokopelli Lodge Clayton (NM) United States

Best Western Kokopelli Lodge Clayton (NM) United States