Dundee Arms Inn: Charlottetown's BEST Kept Secret (PEI Getaway!)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because we're diving deep into the rabbit hole that is the Dundee Arms Inn: Charlottetown's "BEST Kept Secret"! And let me tell you, after a week of battling PEI's legendary wind and trying to decipher Islander slang (apparently "skiving" is not a compliment), I'm ready to spill the tea. This isn't your typical travel review. We're going to get real here.
First off, SEO, baby! Gotta hit those keywords. So, Dundee Arms Inn, Charlottetown, PEI, Getaway, Accessible Hotel, Romantic Getaway, Spa Hotel – got it? Good. Now, let's actually TALK about the place.
Accessibility & Getting There (The Hurdles & the Hallelujah!):
Look, I need to address the accessibility first because it's crucial. The website says they're great, but that's a common lie. My partner uses a wheelchair, and honestly, I was a little nervous going in. Thankfully, Dundee Arms does deliver. The access is solid. Think wide hallways, elevators, rooms designed for accessibility, and things like grab bars that actually work. Praise be! The elevator is a lifesaver, especially after a day of exploring. There's a certain joy in not having to huff and puff up stairs, believe me. Still, it's not perfect. Some areas could widen to offer better access.
Oh, and getting to the Dundee Arms? Piece of cake (with a delightful dollop of PEI charm, of course). Airport transfer? Check. Free car park? Double check. Bonus points: the parking is on-site, which means no dragging luggage forever. (I did a little jig, I'm not gonna lie.)
Rooms (The Good, the Slightly Odd, and the Gloriously Comfy):
We snagged a non-smoking, high-floor room with Internet access – wireless (aka free Wi-Fi! Praise the tech gods!). The extra-long bed? Yes, please. Seriously, I felt like I could finally spread out and not worry about kicking my partner in the night. The soundproofing was also a blessing, especially when a particularly boisterous wedding party decided to "celebrate" until 2 AM one night. (More on that later.)
The private bathroom was spacious and well-appointed with complimentary toiletries (yay for not having to ransack your suitcase for shampoo!). Bathrobes and slippers? The ultimate touch of luxury. And those blackout curtains? Genius. Perfect for sleeping off a lobster coma (which, let's be honest, is highly likely in PEI).
Now for the imperfections (because let's be real, no place is perfect). The décor? Let's just call it "historical charm," which is code for "slightly dated." The coffee/tea maker was a lifesaver in the mornings, but the free bottled water situation was a little inconsistent. One day, there was a whole case, the next, a single bottle. Go figure. And the desk? Let's say it was… functional. Not exactly inspiring for writing the next great Canadian novel, but hey, it held my laptop.
And speaking of not inspiring…the room decorations were, shall we say, uninspired. Think generic art, a slightly lonely-looking lamp, and a vague sense of "trying." But honestly, who cares? You're in PEI! Get out and explore!
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (Lobster Rolls, Oh My! And the Occasional Hiccup):
This is where the Dundee Arms really shines. The on-site restaurant (I believe it's called the "Claddagh Oyster House") is a MUST. The a la carte menu is full of tantalizing options, but get this: they also have a vegetarian restaurant nearby! My partner, who is vegetarian, was in heaven. (A tip: try the "Vegetarian Curry!")
The buffet in the restaurant at breakfast was pretty standard, with all the usual suspects – eggs, bacon, pastries etc. The coffee was decent, but I'm a coffee snob. I need something strong, and the in-room coffee was so-so (which is why you should always buy the Starbucks at the airport).
The Poolside bar was closed when we were there, which was a bummer, but that was due to Covid, and it's understandable.
However, let's talk about this wedding party. They were, shall we say, enthusiastic. Picture this: 1 AM, thumping bass, and enough noise to make a Viking warrior wince. I called the front desk (24-hour!), and you know what? They handled it like pros. Noise reduced within an hour.
Spa & Relaxation (Blissful Escapes and a Few Hiccups):
Oh, the spa! Now this is where Dundee Arms elevates itself. The spa/sauna, steamroom, swimming pool [outdoor], and gym/fitness are some of the services. It's a must-do. I spent a dreamy hour being kneaded and pummeled by an angel of a massage therapist. I can still feel the knot in my shoulder melting away. Afterwards, I luxuriated in the Sauna. Pure bliss.
And the pool with a view? Stunning. It overlooks the water. Perfect after a long day on your feet. But here's the thing: the sauna and spa can get busy. Book your treatments in advance, because, trust me, you don't want to miss out.
For the Kids (Mostly Family-Friendly, But…):
Dundee Arms is generally family/child friendly, with some kids facilities and a babysitting service available. I didn't have kids with me, so I can't personally vouch for the quality of the babysitting, but I saw plenty of families having a great time.
Cleanliness and Safety (A Mostly Stellar Performance):
I'm a bit of a germaphobe, so I'm always on the lookout for cleanliness. Dundee Arms excels here. Individually-wrapped food options, hand sanitizer everywhere, and staff trained in safety protocol. They're taking this seriously, and it shows. Daily disinfection in common areas and rooms sanitized between stays are a big plus. The Anti-viral cleaning products were also a nice touch.
Services and Conveniences (The Good Stuff):
Contactless check-in/out? Genius. Daily housekeeping? Check. Concierge? Helpful and friendly. Cash withdrawal? Yes, please. The luggage storage was handy, too. The dry cleaning, ironing service, and laundry service were all useful.
Now for the really great part:
The terrace is an oasis. Perfect for enjoying a glass of wine while watching the sunset. Just breathtaking.
Overall Vibe and the "Best Kept Secret" Factor:
Look, Dundee Arms isn't perfect. It's got its quirks, its imperfections, and its moments of "oh, PEI!" But that's part of its charm. It's not a sterile, corporate hotel; it's got character. It feels… authentic. And the staff? Sweet, helpful, and genuinely invested in your comfort. The concierge really knows the local area and gave some top-notch recommendations.
And that "best kept secret" part? It's true. Dundee Arms isn't one of those massive, impersonal resorts. It's a little bit under the radar, a place where you can actually relax and recharge. A place where you can feel like you've truly escaped.
The Price is Right The hotel is not as expensive as some of the others, and that is a very big plus!
THE OFFER THAT YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR:
Ready to escape to PEI and discover Dundee Arms Inn?
Book your getaway now and receive:
- A complimentary bottle of local PEI wine upon arrival!
- 15% off any spa treatment! (Because you deserve it!)
- Free daily breakfast!
- Guaranteed room upgrade! (Subject to availability, of course. But we'll do our best!)
Why should you book now?
Because PEI is calling, and the Dundee Arms Inn is waiting to welcome you. Don't wait! Spaces are limited. Visit the website: [Insert website here, obviously!] And book your adventure! I hope this review helped you, I had a great time, and you definetly should go.
Escape to GreenTree Inn Huai'an: Your Perfect Huaian Getaway!Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this Dundee Arms Inn itinerary? It's gonna be less "rigid schedule" and more "chaotic symphony of delightful, slightly questionable choices." Consider it your personal travel survival guide, written by someone who definitely needs a vacation after this damn vacation.
The Dundee Arms Inn & Beyond: A PEI Odyssey (or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Lobster)
Day 1: Arrival & The Great Lobster Debacle
Afternoon (3:00 PM): Land in Charlottetown. The airport? Small, friendly, and blessedly free of the usual airport drama. I'm instantly charmed. (This is gonna be a good trip, I tell myself. Famous last words. Shudders). Pick up the rental car – a tiny, surprisingly peppy little hatchback…that I immediately struggle to park in the Dundee Arms Inn parking lot. Seriously, the spaces are designed for leprechauns.
Afternoon (4:00 PM): Check into the Dundee Arms. The inn itself is gorgeous – Victorian charm oozing from every nook and cranny. My room? Quaint, yes. Tiny, also yes. But hey, the four-poster bed and antique desk make up for the lack of space. Unpack? Nah, that can wait. Priorities, people!
Evening (6:00 PM): Dinner, ROUND ONE. The plan? Fresh lobster, obviously. This is PEI, after all! I stroll down to the local pier, where the restaurants are more than happy to accept me. Feeling like I should be a 'professional' at eating lobster, I dive right in. Here's where things go sideways. I order a whole lobster (because, go big or go home, right?), and I proceed to look like I'm fighting a small sea monster. Shell fragments everywhere. Butter dribbling. Me, covered in… well, let's just say lobster-flavored things. The server, God bless her, just laughs and refills my water glass. I vow to master the art of lobster consumption by the end of my trip. (Spoilers: I fail.)
Evening (8:00 PM): Walk along the Charlottetown waterfront. The air is crisp, the sunset is breathtaking, and the lobster-induced food coma is settling in. I feel…happy. Blissfully, stupidly happy.
Evening (9:00 PM): Back at the Dundee Arms, I finally unpack. It's a chaotic mess, involving mostly throwing things onto the bed and declaring them "good enough." Read a book in my tiny room (because, again, priorities) and feel a sense of peace.
Day 2: Anne of Green Gables & Emotional Trauma
Morning (9:00 AM): Breakfast at the Inn. The food is simple, but surprisingly fresh and delicious. I get chatting with a group of older women, the type you just know have seen some things. They're incredibly kind and give me some pointers of the best places to visit. It's the first time I've felt the 'small town' effect of PEI, and I think it's my favorite thing.
Morning (10:00 AM): Drive to Green Gables. Okay, so I had zero interest in Anne of Green Gables before this trip. Now? I get it. The place is magical! The house, the gardens, the whole shebang. I wander around, feeling a strange sort of nostalgia for a childhood I never had. (Is that weird? Probably). I even put on the Anne-esque bonnet in the gift store.
Lunch (1:00 PM): A picnic lunch by the water near the Green Gables Heritage Place. Sandwiches, chips, and some local apple cider. I realize I forgot a blanket, so I sit on the grass awkwardly, watching families play in the water.
Afternoon (2:00 PM): Cavendish Beach. So beautiful here. I decide this is where I will do a 'beach walk,' the classic 'finding yourself' cliche. Honestly, it's pretty idyllic. The sand, the sea, the sun… Until I step on a rogue crab and shriek like a banshee. My moment of Zen is officially over.
Afternoon (4:00 PM): Back to the Dundee Arms. A needed break. I might wander around the town, or have a drink in the library.
Evening (7:00 PM): Dinner at a local seafood restaurant I found. This time I order the lobster roll (baby steps, people!) and it's divine. I even manage to eat it without wearing half of it. Win!
Evening (9:00 PM): Early night, for a change. Curling up in the bed, I plan for tomorrow- I need to be a stronger woman.
Day 3: Clam Digging, Bad Decisions, & Total Bliss (and a little bit of sand)
Morning (9:00 AM): After a delicious breakfast at the Inn, I'm feeling adventurous so I decide to try clam digging. The tour guide is a salty old fisherman, who regales us with tales of the sea. I'm not too much of a success at the clam digestion, but I get some in the end! The water is cold on my feet, the sun is warm on my face, and I feel surprisingly content.
Afternoon (1:00 PM): It's a beautiful day so I head out to explore the North Shore. I drive down a road, stopping at all the small restaurants and shops. Of course, there must be a stop at the Avonlea Village!
Afternoon (3:00 PM): While feeling relaxed back at the Inn, I find myself craving another lobster roll. So I head out. The staff at the restaurant welcome me back with a laugh. I start to feel like I'm getting known around town.
Evening (7:00 PM): I head out for a sunset view. It's a bit windy and there are some dark clouds, but the sunset turns out to be gorgeous. The way the sun hits the ocean, and the way the wind blows the grass. It feels like I could stay here forever.
Evening (9:00 PM): I head back to the Inn, and plan for my last full day tomorrow. Oh, and I need to pack too.
Day 4: Farewell Lobster & The Sweetest Goodbye
Morning (9:00 AM): One last Dundee Arms breakfast. I can't help feeling a little sad about leaving. I've grown quite fond of the place.
Morning (10:00 AM): Last hour of strolling around Charlottetown. I check out some souvenirs. I grab a coffee, sit down at a cafe, and feel peaceful.
Lunch (1:00 PM): One last lobster. This time, it's a lobster bisque. (Yes, I'm still avoiding the whole-lobster situation. Don't judge me!) It's creamy, delicious, and a perfect farewell to PEI's lobster.
Afternoon (3:00 PM): Head to the airport. The car is returned without incident. The flight is smooth. I leave PEI.
Emotional Reaction: Sad. Honestly, I'm leaving a piece of my heart behind. Goodbye, PEI. You were a crazy, messy, beautiful, lobster-filled dream. I'll be back. And next time, I'm conquering that damn lobster.