Escape to Paradise: Addis Ababa's Hidden Gem, Hotel Lobelia!
Escape to Paradise: Addis Ababa's Hidden Gem - Hotel Lobelia! (A Messy, Honest Review)
Alright, buckle up buttercups! Because you're about to get the unfiltered, slightly chaotic, and hopefully entertaining lowdown on Hotel Lobelia in Addis Ababa. Forget the stuffy travel brochures; this is the REAL deal. I just finished a stay, and trust me, it was a journey.
First off, let's get the basics out of the way. Accessibility? They’ve got it, but… it's Ethiopia, you know? It’s not like a fully tricked-out North American hotel. I didn't personally need it, but I spotted an elevator, and the website claims wheelchair accessibility. Let's just say I'd call ahead and double-check the specifics if accessibility is critical for you.
Internet? Ah, the bane of my digital existence. Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! YES! And usually, it actually works! That's a massive win in Ethiopia, you know? There's also Internet [LAN], which… honestly? I'm old school. Why would I use that? Internet Services are probably there too, like a business center and so on, but who needs that when the in-room Wi-Fi, mostly, does the trick? Wi-Fi in public areas? Yeah there's a Wi-Fi, but sometimes, let's just say it's like trying to wrestle a cloud.
Cleanliness & Safety: The Pandemic Edition
Okay, this is important. Anti-viral cleaning products? Check. Daily disinfection in common areas? Yep. Hand sanitizer? Everywhere. Rooms sanitized between stays? Yup, and I saw them doing it. They actually care which is more than I can say after having a stay in a hotel in Cairo, Egypt. Professional-grade sanitizing services? Probably. They were REALLY on top of it. Staff trained in safety protocol? YES! They wore masks, kept their distance, and I never felt unsafe. Individually-wrapped food options? Yep, and the food actually tasted pretty good, more on that later. Cashless payment service? Aye, they make sure to take all kind of cards and digital payments. Physical distancing of at least 1 meter? Aye!
Eating, Drinking, & Generally Filling Your Face
Let’s talk chow. Because, seriously, after a shaky taxi ride in Addis, FOOD is what you need! Restaurants? plural! There are a few, with a decent variety. Restaurants? They have Asian cuisine in restaurant and Western cuisine in restaurant, so you can pick what to munch on! You can eat A la carte in restaurant, and also have a Buffet in restaurant, Breakfast [buffet] is a thing here, which is good! Coffee/tea in restaurant, and a Coffee shop! Breakfast was decent, a good mix of local Ethiopian food and the usual suspects (eggs, toast, etc.). I particularly liked the injera (Ethiopian flatbread) with the spicy lentil stew! Oh and there's also a Vegetarian restaurant which is excellent, if you're in to that sort of things. Desserts in restaurant I can say that the dessert was very good, and Salad in restaurant was very fresh. Room service [24-hour]? Oh yes! That's a lifesaver when jet lag hits you at 3 AM. Snack bar? There's one! Poolside bar? They have this. Soup in restaurant? Yup. They also have Bar if you feel like having a drink. They have a bottle of water, oh and there's a Happy hour!
Stuff to DO (or not!)
Okay, listen, sometimes you just wanna chill. And Hotel Lobelia gets that. They've got a Swimming pool with a view! And it is a pretty amazing view. I spent a afternoon just floating around, staring at the city, and thinking… “Wow, this is actually… relaxing.” In addition to that we have a Swimming pool [outdoor]. Foot bath, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom - all that jazz. Sadly, I was too busy trying to survive the city to enjoy them fully. If you're into the whole pampering thing (ahem, not me), you’ll probably be in hog heaven. Gym/fitness? Uh-huh. I peeked in. Looked… gym-like. (My exercise usually consists of running late for everything.) Hotel Lobelia also got a Fitness center where you can get ripped!
Ways to Relax:
Okay, so here's a confession. I went for a massage. Me. The stressed-out, always-on-the-go, "I-don't-have-time-for-that" me. But you know what? It was amazing. I got a deep tissue massage (which I desperately needed after being on the streets for days, and it was actually pretty affordable). Seriously, picture this: I’m lying there, knots being kneaded out of my shoulders, the gentle scent of eucalyptus in the air… Pure. Bliss. I actually almost fell asleep! It was the closest I’ve gotten to nirvana in years. It cost me more than the hotel room, but it was worth every penny. And I think they have a Body wrap and Body scrub or something. Who knows? Maybe I would have tried it!
The Rooms: My Little Sanctuary (Mostly)
Available in all rooms: Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes. They have Bathroom phone, Bathtub, and Blackout curtains, which are a godsend in a city like Addis.
Okay, my room. It was… fine. Clean. Comfortable. Think "solid, reliable, not overly fancy, but definitely better than that hostel I stayed in last year". Carpeting? Yes, it was there. And… look, it was clean. Maybe not "brand new pristine" clean, but it did the job.
Closet? Yup, plenty of space to hang my slightly-crumpled clothes. Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, and also Daily housekeeping! They have a Desk and a Extra long bed! Free bottled water? Oh yes. Hydration is key, folks, especially at this altitude.
High floor? I think… maybe. I requested a high floor to admire the view, and the view was indeed amazing. In-room safe box? Yes. And it was easy to use, which is a win. Internet access – LAN? I didn’t. Internet access – wireless? Worked great! Ironing facilities? Yes, but who irons on vacation?! Laptop workspace? Technically, but I'd rather sit at the desk.
Linens? Clean. Soft. Smelled nice. Mini bar? I don't drink alcohol. Mirror? Yup, plenty of those. Non-smoking? Absolutely. On-demand movies? Eh, didn’t bother. Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector.
Socket near the bed? Thank god! Because, charging. Sofa? A comfy one. Soundproofing? Pretty good, actually. Kept out most of the street noise, which is a MASSIVE plus in Addis. Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
Air conditioning in public area: Yes! Audio-visual equipment for special events: Yes! Business facilities: Yes. Cash withdrawal? Yes. Concierge? Yes. They were helpful and actually knew stuff! Contactless check-in/out: Yep! They're on top of the times! Convenience store? Yes. Currency exchange? Yes. Daily housekeeping? Yes. Doorman? Yes.
Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Indoor venue for special events, Invoice provided, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center.
For the Kids
I don't have kids, so I honestly didn’t pay much attention. But I saw a Babysitting service mentioned, which is probably a godsend for parents. Family/child friendly? Seems like it. Kids facilities? Probably something. Kids meal? Wouldn't surprise me.
Getting Around
Look, Addis traffic is a beast. But Airport transfer is a MUST. They offer it
Rodeway Inn Colonial Heights: I-95's BEST-KEPT Secret? (VA)Hotel Lobelia: Addis Ababa - A Messy Love Letter (and a Few Gripes)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this ain't your pristine brochure itinerary. This is the real deal, my Addis Ababa Hotel Lobelia experience, warts and all. Prepare for a whirlwind of injera crumbs, existential dread over the lack of good coffee, and a profound love for the chaos.
Day 1: Arrival & Holy-Moly-That's-Traffic!
- Morning (or what feels like morning after a 14-hour flight): Landed in Addis Ababa. Bole International Airport. Immigration: Smooth sailing! Surprisingly efficient. Thank the gods. Baggage claim? Well, let's just say it was a masterclass in patience and silent eyebrow-raising at the conveyor belt. My suitcase, bless its weary wheels, made it. Score!
- Afternoon: Taxi ride to Hotel Lobelia. Oh. My. Goodness. The traffic. It’s… a biblical plague of cars, donkeys, and brave pedestrians. My driver, a man named – let's call him "Habesha" – had the driving skills of a caffeinated honey badger. Weaving, honking, and muttering under his breath. Honestly, it was exhilarating and terrifying all at once. Arrived at Hotel Lobelia. The lobby is a riot of colour, not in a bad way, though. It's like a vibrant artwork exploded, splattering Ethiopian art everywhere. Check-in? Took a while. Apparently, the computer system was also having a very bad day. But hey, the smile of the front desk attendant, a young woman named Netsanet who's smile could melt glaciers, made up for it.
- Evening: Finally, in my room. A little dated, maybe, but character, baby, character! The balcony? Oh, the balcony. Offers a glorious view, which I promptly ruined by dropping my phone off it. It was a testament to gravity, and my lack of coordination. Ordered room service. The kitfo was… an experience. Let's just say my stomach and I engaged in a tense negotiation regarding its authenticity.
Day 2: Coffee Dreams and the Mercato Maze
- Morning: Coffee. The most important meal of the day. Or rather, the most important ritual. Hotel Lobelia's coffee was… adequate. Needs improvement. The search for the perfect Ethiopian coffee commences.
- Late Morning: Breakfast at the hotel restaurant. Another experience. The injera, the spongy flatbread, was a masterpiece of culinary art at first, then rapidly declined in quality. I’m starting to think I am getting it wrong. Is it me?
- Afternoon: Mercato! Holy sweet Moses, the Mercato. This sprawling marketplace is a sensory overload in the best possible way. The sheer volume of goods, the noise, the smells (spices, roasting coffee, questionable street food)… I was overwhelmed. Lost. Found. Lost again. Bought a ridiculous hat shaped like a lion's mane. Regrets? Zero.
- Late Afternoon: Attempted to barter for a traditional Ethiopian shawl. Failed miserably. The vendor, a woman with eyes that could see straight into my soul, saw right through my amateur negotiation tactics. Paid full price. Worth it. The shawl is gorgeous. She was gorgeous too, I learned.
- Evening:Dinner at a local restaurant my friend, Aster recommended, called Yod Abyssinia. The dance performance was incredible. The food? Delicious! I even tried the raw beef. It was…well, it was something. I have mixed feelings.
Day 3: Rock Churches and a Lesson in Patience
- Morning: This day was tough. First, I oversleep. Then the hotel's elevator breaks so I had to use the narrow staircase. My legs can’t handle it anymore.
- Afternoon: Grew to love that staircase instead!
- Evening: Dinner at the hotel. The food was surprisingly good. This time.
Day 4: Farewell, for Now
- Morning: Woke up feeling a profound sense of melancholy. Didn't want to leave. Said goodbye to the staff, Netsanet gave me a hug. (I may have teared up).
- Afternoon: Taxi ride back to the airport. Traffic, of course. Habesha (or someone who looks a lot like him) was my driver. He remembered me. We exchanged nods, a shared understanding of the Addis Ababa experience.
- Evening: Back on the plane. Looking out the window, I saw Addis Ababa shrink into the distance. It wasn't perfect. It was messy. It was frustrating. But it was also beautiful, vibrant, and filled with a warmth that burrowed its way into my soul. I'll be back. I already miss the chaos. And maybe, just maybe, I'll find that perfect cup of coffee.
Escape to Paradise: Hotel Lobelia - Your Addis Adventure FAQs (Honest Edition!)
Alright, alright, alright. Let's talk Hotel Lobelia. Look, I’m not gonna lie, this ain't the Four Seasons (thank God, my bank account would weep!), but after stumbling around Addis for a few hectic days, it felt... well, like a hug. A slightly dusty hug, maybe, but a hug nonetheless. So, you want the skinny? Here we go...
1. Okay, so, is it *actually* a hidden gem? Or just a slightly… well, hidden place?
Hidden? Oh, honey, it's HIDDEN. Like, you’ll think you’re about to get mugged in a quiet alley off Bole Road hidden. (Don't worry, you won't, generally. Just, you know, be aware.) The signage? Minimal. Google Maps? Bless its little heart, it’ll probably lead you astray at least once. But *gem*? Yessss! Once you *find* it, the tranquil gardens and the genuinely lovely people are a reward in themselves. It's the kind of place that lets you unwind after the sensory overload that is Addis. This is the truth, it's definitely a gem after the journey.
2. The website says "tranquil gardens." Is that just marketing fluff? Because I've seen "tranquil" before, and it meant "slightly overgrown and mosquito-ridden swamp."
Okay, I hear you. Preach! But no, the gardens are genuinely lovely. Think lush greenery in contrast with the Addis dust, the sounds of birds chirping (I swear, *birds!*), and little pathways to wander. Yes, there are mosquitos (it's Africa, people!), but they're not the ravening hordes of doom I’ve encountered elsewhere. I spent a whole afternoon reading a book on a bench there, just…existing. Absolute bliss. Except... (oh, here comes a little honesty)... one time a rogue beetle the size of my thumb landed on my book. I screamed. Quietly. But I screamed. So, yeah, nature is nature. But mostly, tranquil. Seriously, go see the garden! It's the best
3. The rooms… are they clean? Because some travel blogs have *interesting* definitions of "clean."
CLEAN. Yes. Surprisingly, really. I mean, don’t expect gleaming, sterile perfection. This is Africa, not a Swiss hospital. (And honestly, where’s the fun in that?) But the rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable (major points!), and the bathrooms, while a little... basic... were functional and clean. I’m a bit of a germophobe, so trust me, I'd be screaming if it wasn't up to snuff. The water pressure in the shower? Variable. My advice: shower early. The whole experience is a very pleasant surprise, I have to say.
4. Food! What's the deal with the food? Are you going to get food poisoning? Because I'm the queen of food poisoning, and I'm not sure I can handle Addis *with* the food poisoning.
Okay, okay, food. This is important. The restaurant at Hotel Lobelia is... well, it's a pleasant surprise. They do a respectable job of both Ethiopian and Western food. I had the *shiro* (chickpea stew) which was fantastic. Spicy! Flavorful! Didn’t give me the dreaded tummy troubles! Praise be! My friend, on the other hand, ordered the pasta... and let's just say, it was edible. (I’m being nice here). Honestly, stick with the local Ethiopian and you'll be golden. The breakfast is perfectly acceptable. It's fresh, there's fruit, you can get eggs... and you're likely to have your coffee delivered to your table by a charming young man who will remember your name. Which goes a long way. And no, I didn't get food poisoning. Though, I did experience a moment of *serious* coffee withdrawal. But that's user error, not the hotel's fault.
5. The staff! Are they friendly? Do they speak English? Are they, you know, *helpful*?
The staff are the best part! Seriously. They're *lovely*. They're genuinely friendly, helpful, and patient – especially when dealing with my perpetually lost and bewildered expression. English is widely spoken, and they’ll go out of their way to assist you. I forgot my adapter (a *classic* move) and one of the staff members actually lent me his personal one. That’s above and beyond, people. Above. And. Beyond. They remembered my coffee order. They asked about my day. They made me feel... cared for. Which, after a few days in Addis, is a priceless gift.
6. Okay, I'm sold. But tell me the one big thing that *wasn't* perfect. Give me the ugly truth!
Alright, here's the realest truth of all: The occasional power outage. Addis Ababa, bless its heart, isn't always sunshine and rainbows, and that includes reliable electricity. There were a couple of times when the lights flickered and died. No biggie normally, but one night, while I was in the middle of a shower... the lights blinked out. And I yelped. Loudly. I imagined myself in the dark and shower-less, which it turned out to be true. In addition, after the lights went out, the water went cold. I had to finish my shower with a candle and cold water. It wasn't the most glamorous experience. But hey, it's an adventure, right? Power cuts happen. You'll survive.
7. Is it a good deal for the price?
Absolutely. Considering the peace, the lovely staff, and the decent rooms, it's a great deal. You're not paying a fortune and getting a unique experience. And for the location, it's great. Addis is overwhelming at times. This is a good base of operations for your adventure. I'd say it's well worth the price, without a doubt.
8. Overall, would you recommend it? Be honest!
Look, if you're looking for a luxurious, polished, perfectly-manStaynado