Unbelievable Hotel Castle Rock: Your Mount Abu Fairytale Awaits!
Unbelievable Hotel Castle Rock: My Mount Abu Fairytale… Did It REALLY Await? A Messy, Honest Review
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because you're about to get the real deal on Unbelievable Hotel Castle Rock. Let me tell you, after battling the serpentine roads up to Mount Abu, all I wanted was a fairytale. This place promises that, and well… here's how it played out. Expect a rollercoaster, because my experience was, shall we say, unpredictable.
(Note: I’m going to try and actually cover every single one of those hundreds of features you listed. Wish me luck! This is going to be a long one.)
First Impressions & Accessibility (or Lack Thereof… Oh Boy!)
So, Castle Rock claims to be accessible. This is where things get immediately messy. They do have an elevator, a HUGE plus considering Mount Abu's inherent verticality. But… and this is a BIG BUTT (as in, the kind I was lugging up the stairs because the elevator felt sketchy at times…), the path from the car park, which thankfully is free and on-site, to the lobby… well, let's just say it's not exactly wheelchair-friendly. Think slightly uneven flagstones and some… minor inclines. Not ideal, but definitely manageable if you're able-bodied. I’m not sure how a wheelchair user, or someone with mobility issues, would find it – the “facilities for disabled guests” claim requires a serious investigation. This is a CRITICAL area they need to improve. Seriously.
- Accessibility: Okay-ish, but definitely room for improvement. Elevator is a good start, but pathways and general maneuvering need work.
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site]: Definitely a plus! Parking in Mount Abu is a premium.
- Elevator: Worked intermittently! Made me pray a few times. Okay, many times.
The Room (and the Wi-Fi Saga!)
My room… it was… quaint. Let's go with quaint. They tout "unbelievable" everywhere, and the "fairytale" promise definitely felt… a bit overinflated immediately. The bed was comfy enough – extra long, thankfully, because I'm a tall drink of water – and the blackout curtains were a godsend after those winding roads. The view? Spectacular, when I could actually see it through the… mostly clean windows.
Now, the Wi-Fi. The legendary, promised, free Wi-Fi. They shout "Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!" and “Internet access – wireless!”… which, in reality, translated to "Wi-Fi that cuts out more than my ex-boyfriend ever did." I spent half my stay wandering the halls, desperately trying to leech a signal off the routers. Honestly, felt like I was starring in a low-budget spy movie. Luckily, I could distract myself with the complimentary tea, and the view from the window, or… maybe the complimentary cold water!
- Available in all rooms: Yes, mostly.
- Air conditioning: Woohoo! Essential for surviving the Indian climate.
- Alarm clock: Present, and functional!
- Bathrooms: Private. Crucial. Cleanliness was… okay.
- Bathtub / Separate shower/bathtub: My room had a separate shower, with a bathtub!
- Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Complimentary tea: All good!
- Coffee/tea maker: Present!
- Desk: Yes. Essential when the world is closing in.
- Extra long bed: Amen!
- Free bottled water: YES! Saved me!
- Hair dryer: Yes.
- High floor: Nope!
- In-room safe box: Yes.
- Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless: See Wi-Fi Saga above.
- Ironing facilities: Yes. Useful.
- Laptop workspace: Yes!
- Linens: Acceptable.
- Mini bar: Empty. Which, you know, adds to the "fairytale" element – it's a mystery!
- Mirror: Check.
- Non-smoking: Hooray!
- On-demand movies: Didn’t bother, the Wi-Fi already provided enough entertainment.
- Private bathroom: Yes!
- Reading light: Present, and worked!
- Refrigerator: Present! Useful to cool my bottled water!
- Safety/security feature: Yes. Nothing felt dodgy.
- Satellite/cable channels: Yeah.
- Scale: Check. Should I really be checking?
- Seating area: Yes!
- Shower, Slippers: Both were there.
- Smoke detector: I hope so.
- Socket near the bed: Crucial for charging the phone to work on the Wi-Fi.
- Sofa: Yes!
- Soundproofing: Not great. I could hear everything.
- Telephone: Present.
- Toiletries: Basic but effective.
- Towels: Clean and fluffy!
- Umbrella: Yes!
- Visual alarm: Didn't need it.
- Wake-up service: I used my phone.
- Wi-Fi [free]: HA!
- Window that opens: Yes! Fresh air!
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (The Food Fight!)
Okay, let’s talk food. The restaurant at Castle Rock is… interesting. There's a mix of cuisines, with a focus on Indian, but they also have some international options.
- A la carte in restaurant: Yes.
- Alternative meal arrangement: Available. Thankfully.
- Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant: Present.
- Bar: Check, though ambience was a little lacking – a bit cold and clinical.
- Bottle of water: Yes!
- Breakfast [buffet]: They do a buffet breakfast, which is generous to a fault. (It made me question how much they actually cared about food waste, I won’t lie). There was a HUGE variety.
- Breakfast service: Included!
- Buffet in restaurant: Yes.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant, Coffee shop: Present, and readily available.
- Desserts in restaurant: Yes.
- Happy hour: Didn't see one.
- International cuisine in restaurant: Yes.
- Poolside bar: Didn't see one.
- Restaurants: One!
- Room service [24-hour]: YES! Lifesaver when I ran out of snacks at 2am!
- Salad in restaurant: Yes.
- Snack bar: Nope.
- Soup in restaurant: Yes.
- Vegetarian restaurant / Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant: Yes!
- Safe dining setup: Hand sanitizer everywhere.
The breakfast buffet was the most chaotic part of my stay, but… it delivered that weird, overstuffed Indian breakfast experience I secretly craved. The fresh omelets were a highlight, and the service was, at times, endearing despite the language barriers. They tried to make sure you were looked after. I’m not going to claim it was Michelin-star quality, but it filled a hole in my stomach, and that's all that mattered.
Things to do? Ways to Relax? (The Spa… or Lack Thereof?)
This is where the "fairytale" really took a hit. While Castle Rock claims a spa, I'm pretty sure the "Spa" was just a room with a massage table and a sad-looking sauna.
- Body scrub, Body wrap, Fitness center, Foot bath, Gym/fitness, Massage, Pool with view, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Swimming pool, Swimming pool [outdoor]: Okay. The website shows all these things -- and a stunning outdoor pool and hot tub. In reality? I swear half these things didn't exist. The gym appeared locked, the spa looked like a broom closet (I'm not exaggerating), and definitely didn’t see a pool with a view.
I'm pretty sure they were lying. Maybe I just missed it. The website images are beautiful, but the actual facilities seemed… mythical. This was incredibly disappointing.
Cleanliness and Safety (Thank Goodness!)
Okay, here's where Castle Rock actually shined. They take this seriously.
- Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer: Everywhere!
- Hygiene certification: I didn't see it, but I felt like they were doing their best.
- Room sanitization opt-out available, Rooms sanitized between stays, Sterilizing equipment: All present.
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Yes.
- **Fire extinguisher, Front desk [
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because planning a trip to Hotel Castle Rock in Mount Abu is like…well, it's like trying to herd cats while wearing a blindfold. But hey, that’s half the fun, right? This isn't your sterile, bullet-pointed itinerary. This is living it.
Day 1: Arrival & Mild Panic (aka, Welcome to India…and Wifi Woes!)
- Morning (or what passes for it after a red-eye): Land in Udaipur. The airport? Let's just say it's got character. And the taxis? They're like colorful, horn-blaring race cars. My driver, bless his cotton socks, was convinced he was in the Monaco Grand Prix. We somehow made it through the chaos, and the drive to Mount Abu was a visual feast. Rolling hills, dusty villages…and a healthy dose of "am I REALLY in charge of making all these decisions?" jitters.
- Afternoon: Arrive finally at Hotel Castle Rock. The pictures online…well, they're flattering. The reality? A charmingly dilapidated Victorian fortress perched on a cliffside. The bellhop practically smiled when he hefted my ridiculous oversized suitcase (packed for every possible weather scenario, naturally). The view? Staggering. Lush green valleys stretching out before me. The sheer breathlessness of it all immediately wiped away some of the travel fatigue. Except for this tiny, annoying detail: the WiFi. Utterly useless. More on this later…
- Evening: A quick, delicious lunch at the hotel restaurant (the dal makhani was a life-saver – or at least, a hunger-pang killer). Exploring the grounds. (More like wandering around in a bewildered state.) Found a cute little gazebo overlooking the valley. This is where I attempted to meditate. Emphasis on "attempted." The wind had other ideas, and I spent most of the time chasing my scarf. Went for a late afternoon stroll. Dinner? Mixed feelings. The staff were adorable but the food was ok. The dessert was the best.
Day 2: Dilwara Delights & My Encounter with a Mischievous Monkey
- Morning: Up early(ish) for the Dilwara Temples. Oh. My. Goodness. These Jain temples are like…the Sistine Chapel, but carved out of marble! Like, intricate. Like, I spent a good hour just staring at the ceilings (neck ache aside). Honestly it was breathtaking. Photography is strictly prohibited inside (which is probably for the best, as my clumsy self would've tripped over a prayer mat and broken something).
- Afternoon: Picnic lunch at a viewpoint, overlooking the town. Beautiful. And then… a monkey. A mischievous, thieving monkey with eyes that suggested he'd mastered the art of judgement. This little beast snatched my banana right out of my hand. I screamed. He looked smug. I’m pretty sure he winked. My dignity? Gone. My lunch? Also gone. It took a while to move past the humiliation.
- Evening: Back to the hotel. The dinner and chill was more than enough. The hotel staff were lovely again and the service was incredible. The wifi didn’t work so I just gave up.
Day 3: Nakki Lake & a Date with Disappointment
- Morning: Tried to actually get some work done. Fail. The wifi. Still a joke. Frustrated. I decided to embrace the digital detox and went for a walk around Nakki Lake. It’s pretty! The paddle boats! Romantic! The reality? A bit crowded. All the boats are the same. I spent 15 minutes there.
- Afternoon: Decided to explore the local market, in search of something special to bring back home. The colors! The spice smells! Overwhelming! I bought scarves (that weren't as soft as I was led to believe), souvenirs, and a ridiculous elephant-shaped ashtray (I don't smoke, but hey, it was cute).
- Evening: Dinner at the hotel. The food was not right. Disappointed. The atmosphere was great though. Great decor.
Day 4: Sunset & The (Almost) Perfect Farewell
- Morning: The morning was a blur of packing, stressing about the flight, and wondering if my bank account was still intact after all that shopping. I did, however, manage to squeeze in a final, desperate attempt to get the blasted wifi to cooperate. It didn't. I nearly threw the laptop out the window.
- Afternoon: Last Lunch at the hotel. After lunch, the same old chaotic taxi ride back to Udaipur, and I’m off.
- Evening: Now I’m finally feeling more prepared to leave. The hotel staff waved goodbye, their smiles genuine.
- My Emotional Reaction: The trip to Hotel Castle Rock was a whirlwind of emotions. There were moments of pure joy, moments of utter frustration, a monkey-related trauma, and plenty of moments of me just wandering around in a haze of confusion. And yet, I wouldn’t trade it for the world. It was messy, it was imperfect, and it was wonderfully, gloriously human.
Unbelievable Hotel Castle Rock: Your Mount Abu Fairytale Awaits! (Yeah, Right? Let's See...)
So, what *is* this Castle Rock place actually *like*? Is it REALLY a fairytale? Because, let's be honest, fairytales are usually a lie.
Okay, buckle up buttercup, because "fairytale" might be a *slight* exaggeration. Think... a slightly dilapidated, but charming, castle-esque building perched on a hill. The views? Absolutely *stunning*. Like, picture-postcard, Instagram-worthy stunning. The *real* fairytale aspect? Well, that depends. Are you expecting a perfectly manicured Disney experience? Then, no. Are you expecting character, history, maybe a few cobwebs and a slightly grumpy, but secretly adorable, staff member? Then... maybe. Actually, scratch that. The staff are definitely not grumpy, not in my experience. I once saw a kid drop a plate of pasta, and they were so understanding! They practically built him a sundae to make up for it.
Right, so location, location, location. How far is it *really* from the main attractions? Is it a hike? Because I'm not super-fit and I *hate* hiking.
Okay, this is a good one. Castle Rock is, shall we say, *conveniently* located. You know, close enough to the main sights to be easy to access, but far enough up the hill to feel... secluded. It's a gentle stroll to the Nakki Lake (like, don't expect to break a sweat), and a slightly breezier (but still doable) walk to the other attractions. But here's the thing: You'll probably want to grab a rickshaw or a taxi for the *really* steep climbs. Trust me. I tried to walk up that hill to the Sunset Point once. *Once*. I still have flashbacks of my throbbing calves. Worth it for the sunset, though. Absolutely worth it.
What about the rooms? Are they actually *castle-y* inside? Or just, you know, bland hotel rooms pretending to be something they're not?
The rooms... hmmm. Okay, they're not *actual* castles. Let's be clear on that. No suits of armor standing guard (sadly). But they *do* have a certain... *je ne sais quoi*. Think high ceilings (yay!), maybe a slightly wonky window that offers a killer view (double yay!), and definitely not the sterile, cookie-cutter vibe you get at every chain hotel. Some rooms are a little more updated than others (ask for the renovated ones if you're picky!), but they all have character. One of my visits, I swear, my room had a ghost. Or maybe it was just the wind whistling through a crack in the window. Either way, it added to the *experience*! And I'm not saying *every* room is perfect. The towels might not be as fluffy as you like (bring your own!), and the shower pressure could be better, but honestly, you don't care. You're in Mount Abu! Who cares about fluffy towels when you have those views?!
And the food? Don't tell me it's all just that bland, generic "Indian food" they serve everywhere. I'm hoping for something... authentic. And maybe a little spicy.
Okay, food is a *thing* for me. I live to eat. And the food at Castle Rock... it's good. Really good. Not exactly *Michelin star* good, but definitely better than your average hotel restaurant. They have a good mix of Indian and continental options. The Indian food is definitely the star, though. Spicy? Yes. Delicious? Absolutely. My go-to is the *laal maas* – slow-cooked lamb in a rich, red gravy. Warning: it's *fiery*. But oh-so-good. And their breakfasts? Prepare to stuff yourself. Parathas, eggs, toast, and some amazing Indian breads and chutneys. I remember one time, I overate and I'm surprised I even made it to the bathroom. It was epic. The dining room itself is quite lovely--I felt like I was sitting in a fancy movie set!
What about the service? Is it friendly? Efficient? Or the kind of service that leaves you waiting for an hour for a glass of water?
Okay, Service is one of the most important things for me, and the Staff are genuinely lovely. They try their best! They’re mostly very friendly and eager to help. Patience is key, though. Don't expect lightning-fast service. Things move at a ‘Mount Abu pace’ (which is a *very* relaxed pace). A little patience goes a long way. Remember, you're on vacation! Embrace the chill vibe. But honestly, the staff are the best. On my last trip, I forgot my phone charger. They went above and beyond to find a compatible one for me! Such lovely, lovely people!
Is there Wi-Fi? Because, you know, modern life...
Yes, there IS Wi-Fi. *But* and this is a big but, it can be a bit... unreliable. Especially in the rooms. Think of it as a gentle nudge to disconnect. Embrace the digital detox! Or, you know, wander down to the lobby, where the signal is usually stronger. Honestly, I actually kind of liked the intermittent Wi-Fi. It forced me to, you know, *talk* to people. Crazy, right? I felt it was a good break. Especially after all the busy work-days of staring at a screen.
Okay, the big question: Is it *worth* the price? Because let's face it, vacation budgets are a thing.
This is tough. Castle Rock isn’t the cheapest option in Mount Abu. But when you factor in the location the view, the character, and the overall experience... I’d say, yes, it's worth it. It’s not perfect. It has its quirks. But that's part of the charm. You’re not paying for a sterile, predictable hotel experience. You’re paying for a memory. A slightly wonky, wonderfully imperfect, fairytale-esque memory. And, if you're lucky, the staff will even let you use their selfie-stick! (true story!) All in all, I'd definitely recommend it. Just don't expect perfection. Expect adventure. Expect beauty. Expect the unexpected.
Any tips for making the most of my stay? Beyond the, like, obvious "bring a charger" advice...
Okay, pro-tips from a seasoned Castle Rock-er:
- Pack layers! Mount Abu can get chilly, especially in the evenings.
- Bargain! Especially for souvenirs. It's part of the fun (and the local economy!).
- Try to book a room with aHotel Search SiteHotel Castle Rock Mount Abu IndiaHotel Castle Rock Mount Abu India